Resort Realty

The  Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Program in Red River and New Mexico provides for off-highway motor vehicle recreation that recognizes the importance of New Mexico’s cultural, historic, and resource values while also ensuring public safety.  New Mexico has new requirements for off-highway motor vehicles (OHVs) designed to protect the safety of all OHV users and ensure responsible and sensitive OHV use. The law requires all OHV users to register or acquire a permit for their OHV if it is used on public land.


ATVs and OHVs in Red River

Town Of Red River Map for R.O.V. Use

Nonresidents whose OHVs are not registered or not in compliance with another state's off-highway vehicle registration, user fee, or similar rule demonstrated by certificate of registration must obtain a use permit to operate legally on public lands in New Mexico. 
Non-resident permits cost $48 for two years or $18 for 90 days. Permits are available at any NM Department of Game and Fish office, or online at or
OHV New Mexico Brochure (Updated 01-19-2017)

R.O.V.  Use in the Town of Red River

The Rules on ROV's in Town of Red River

The Town of Red River is excited to provide the opportunity for you and your family to enjoy the freedom of using Recreational Highway Vehicles (ROVs) inside the town limits in order to travel from your place of lodging to the trailheads. However, this must be seen as a partnership between you and the town. Understandably there are restrictions on where, how and when you can take advantage of this opportunity. Please know and understand the following restrictions and guidelines so that you may enjoy hours of ROV fun. Note that some of the town’s rules are more restrictive than what will be allowed once you’re on a trail. Understand that because of the many safety, aesthetic and practical issues associated with the town affording you this opportunity there will be strict enforcement of the rules. Thank you in advance for your consideration of others and for your willingness to work with us in this endeavor.

A certified peace officer may stop an ROV at any me for a random inspection of required items and ordinance compliance without the necessity of a violation being seen.

For the purpose of this ordinance, a Recreational Off -Highway Vehicle (ROV) shall be defined as:
a motor vehicle designed for travel on four or more non-highway tires, for recreational use by one or more persons and having:
(a) a steering wheel
(b) non-straddle seating
(c) maximum speed capability greater than 35 miles per hours
(d) gross vehicle weight ra ng no greater than 1750 pounds
(e) less than eighty inches in overall width, exclusive of accessories
(f) engine displacement of less than 1000cc
(g) identified by means of a 17-character vehicle identification number

***ATVs are strictly forbidden from being operated inside town limits.***

All ROVs must be registered under NM 66-3-1003. Registration can be obtained at the MVD  at town hall if you are a resident
of NM. All out of state operators can be registered at the Red River Conference Center on River Street across from the town park.

No operation of ROVs inside town limits shall be allowed between the hours of 7:00 PM and 8:00 AM.
No operation of ROVs on NM 38 (Main Street) shall be allowed between Caribel Trail on the west side of town and Jayhawk Trail on the east side of town. This includes stopping, standing or parking. It shall be allowable to cross NM 38 (Main Street) at intersections with other town streets so long as the crossing is done safely and directly across at the shortest possible distance.
No parking of ROVs shall be allowed on town property except for the Municipal Parking Lot in the East 100 Block of River Street.
No operating of ROVs at a speed greater than the posted speed limit shall be allowed on any streets inside town. Operators must follow all laws and ordinance pertaining to the operation of motor vehicles as described under NM statute 66-7 (Traffic Laws; Signs, Signals and Markings; Accidents; Traffic Safety).
All operators must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid driver’s license. A learner’s permit of any type shall not be valid for the purpose of this ordinance. A motorcycle license shall not be valid for the purpose of this ordinance. In addition, operators under 18 must, in accordance with state law;

1. Wear approved, protective eyewear
2. Never carry a passenger, regardless of design
3. Obtain and carry a certificate showing completion of an OHV operation safety course 

​​​​Red River Vacation Rentals by Resort Realty